When was your last dental appointment? If you can’t remember, it’s time to pick up the phone and schedule. No matter the level of oral care you engage in at home, it’s always important to keep regular dental exams. Only a dentist will be able to spot early signs of problems and vanquish them before they develop.
Preventive Dental Care in Staten Island
Preventive dentistry is the practice of preventing dental problems before they arise. Engaging with your oral hygiene is key. But you’ll need the ongoing support of a dentist to ensure that your efforts are making a difference. Dr. Ricciardi and his team will act as your partner in building and maintaining your oral health. Most patients should visit the office every 6 months to stay on top of their dental and periodontal well-being.
Twice-yearly dental exams allow Dr. Ricciardi to evaluate your oral health, diagnose any problems, and treat concerns. Your exam will consist of
- X-rays – X-rays expose problems that may be hidden between teeth or within cracks and crevices. If it is your first visit, a full series of x-rays will likely be taken. For regular check-ups, bite-wing x-rays will disclose even the subtlest beginnings of cavities.
- Health evaluation – Your teeth will be examined for visual signs of decay, gingivitis, oral cancer, and other issues.
- Teeth cleaning – Bacteria, plaque, and tartar will be cleaned from your tooth surfaces.
- Polish – Your teeth will be polished to create a lustrous, bright smile.
- Additional services – Depending on your personal needs, fluoride treatment or other preventive measures may be recommended.
Gingivitis is gum inflammation, and is the first stage of gum disease. If your gums look like they may be ailing, we will prescribe cleaning measures that will soothe and heal the aggravated areas. Stopping gingivitis before it progresses to periodontitis is a top priority.
Time for your next exam? It’s never to early to schedule. Call us today!